ABSTRACT

This experiment was carried out with eleven different lines in 2019 and sixteen different lines in 2020 with check variety JRO-524 and BJRI Tossa pat-8 was grown at Manikganj station of Bangladesh. In respect of anatomical traits Acc. 1318 gave higher stem diameter, bark thickness, area of trapezoid, number of trapezoids and number of bundles/trapezoid from pooled mean data of top, middle and base portion of all jute genotypes. In respect of fiber cell, maximum length breadth ratio was found in line O-0419-3-1 which was significantly similar to JRO-524(green). It is expecting that Accession 1318 gave higher fibre yield in field condition. In respect of result from 2020, BJRI Tossa Pat–5 gave best result in all the parameter which statistically similar with advanced line O-0412-9-4, O-043-7-9(G) and variety JRO-524. Advanced line       O-043-7-9 green and red line gaveve higher number of bundle/trapezoids and bundle layer/trapezoids followed by advanced line O-0412-9-4 and variety JRO-524.

Key words: Anatomical observations, tossa jute, genotypes.

 

Introduction

 

 

Jute belongs to the genus Corchorus and family Tiliaceae, with chromosome number 2n = 14 (Kumar et al., 2014). The fibre quality of jute is dependent upon several anatomical characters (Kundu et al., 1959; Satya et al., 2011). Jute fibre is the anatomical product of the jute plant. Quantification and histological parameters in selection process of jute variety can play vital role (Akter, et al., 2003). In a breeding population, jute breeder thus rely more on indirect estimation of fibre yield by using component characters such as plant height and diameter of base, middle or top (Kumar et al., 2014). The heritability and correlation of these characters have been found to be variable depending on environmental conditions, retting methods and management practices (Chaudhury, 1988). In jute, 90% of the total fibre of the plant is developed in the secondary phloem by the activity of the cambium, and the remaining 10% is formed in the protophloem region. The fibre cells developed from cambium undergo rapid change in length and breadth. The secondary wall of the young fibre cells becomes thicker by the gradual deposit of secondary layers of cellulose materials (Maiti et al., 2012).  Jute plant stems having fibre bundles comprising a greater number of compactly arranged long and fine ultimate cells give fibers of higher strength when retted under standard conditions (Majumdar, 2002). Therefore, in the present experiment an attempt has been made to study the anatomical characteristics and to examine fiber development patterns of some jute genotype